Monday, October 6, 2008

Good Advice From An Unlikely Place


If you have read my blog recently then you know about my little mid life crisis I'm currently in. I had tons of good advice from some really great friends but was still feeling down. Well today I was watching a movie "Dan In Real Life" and the end of the movie really caught my attention. At the end of the movie Steve Carell's character talks about life plans. He says that our entire lives we are asked what our plans are for our future. So much expectation is put in to these plans that rarely come out the way that we want them to. So rather then asking ourselves and others what our plans are for our lives maybe we should tell ourselves to plan on being surprised. That's really the only thing that we can count on. I don't know what it was about that but it's like it all of a sudden just clicked. It's not just our expectations that we have for ourselves but the expectations that others have for us that can be overwhelming. When those expectations and life plans go astray, we become frustrated. So I'm going to try really hard to just plan on being surprised and embrace what life has given me from now on. Different isn't always bad it's just that, different.

2 comments:

Matt and Amanda said...

I like that saying, "plan on being surprised." I'm going to have to remember that whenever I start feeling frustrated. I'm glad you are starting to feel better.
Love ya!

Nisa and Colby said...

Hey! I found your blog! It has been way too long since we have hung out! I love that movie, great advice. Well know that I've found your blog, hopefully we can stay in touch better.