Monday, August 8, 2011

Things I've Learned in 6 Short Months!

I can't believe that next week my baby girl will already be 6 months old!! Where does the time go? While I was pregnant I did a post about things that I had learned while pregnant. This is a spin off of that that I'm calling "Things I've Learned in 6 Short Months!" Sort of my ode to first time parenting

1. Being a parent is tough!! I'm constantly exhausted. I can't remember the last time I actually DID my hair and make up. I feel like I can clean my house 24/7 but it some how still always looks like a tornado just tore through it. Now, I never expected it to be a cake walk but at the same time I didn't expect juggling life and a baby to be as difficult as it has been. I completely have a new respect for parents especially single parents who do this all on their own.

2. Once you have a kid all you do is talk about your kid. I'm sure every one gets so sick of hearing about every moment in Ella's life but I'm just so proud I can't stop talking about her!! I'm sure you have all noticed by reading this blog :)

3. There are a million things that we all say that we will never do with our kids but when it comes down to it, you do because it's easy. Case in point, I said that I would not let my child watch TV until she was 2 years old. Little did I know she would be hooked at such a young age just from having it on while she was in the room. Now I count on PBS and Baby Einsteins just to be able to get dinner made. I often feel like a bad parent but, she likes it and it keeps her entertained. There are much worse things in the world then a little TV.

4. There are a million things that we all say that we will always do with our kids but when it comes down to it, you don't because it's easier. Case in point, I told myself that my child would always wear shoes. It was a pet peeve of mine when kids of any age didn't have shoes on. So from the minute that I could find shoes that fit Ella's feet, she had them on. That was until she developed her own personality, decided she hates shoes, and kicks and screams until she gets them off her feet. Now, I can't even remember the last time Ella wore shoes. It still bugs me but it's not worth the fight.

5. It's very easy to be judgmental of how others are raising their kids when you don't have any. Once you have your own and you see how it is, you realize why people do the things that they do when it comes to raising children.

6. There is no right or wrong way to raise a child. You just have to figure out what works for your family and go with it. If only there were an instruction manual on how to raise a perfect family...

7. There is nothing in the world like the love a mother has for her child. I can't describe it but if you are a mom you will know exactly what I mean.

8. I definitely need to work on my patience. I thought I was a lot better then I am. Ella has a very annoying high pitched, squealing whine that she does and it just makes me CRAZY!!

9. Even though being a mom is one of the toughest jobs I've ever had, I would not trade a minute of it for anything in the world.

10. Life is pretty miraculous. Every day I look at this beautiful little girl and I'm still amazed that Taylor and I made her. She grew in my tummy and came out this gorgeous little being that looks just like her daddy (seriously anyone could be that kids mother). It blows my mind when I watch her grow and learn new things. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me.

No comments: