Friday, August 20, 2010

Mixed Emotions

A couple of days ago I found out the my baby bro Matt had gone and enlisted in the Army. I didn't know what to think about this. I mean we are living in a time where deployment to fight in the middle east is pretty much a guarantee. But, the more I thought about it the more I became proud of Matt. He's really excited to serve his country and just because he is in the army doesn't mean that he has to go out fighting in the front lines or anything. This could be a really good thing for him. He needs a little structure and responsibility in his life.

So last night we all went to my mom's house for dinner. Matt was super excited because he was going to tell us what he signed up to do. So we all gathered in the kitchen to hear Matt's news only to find out that he is going to be an E.O.D. If you are not familiar with what an E.O.D is, they are the people who go in to try and defuse bombs. It's a super dangerous job. My heart just sank. It was everything that I could do to hold back my tears, my mom was already crying enough for the both of us. I know that I need to be supportive and I'm really trying my best but I am so scared. He's only 18!! I'm soo close to my siblings that the thought of any of them being in a dangerous situation like that is just terrifying for me. I just don't know how to feel about this. When I think about it I just cry.

1 comment:

lizzo said...

Wow. I don't know what else to say. How scary for all of you but what a brave thing for Matt to be doing.